Counselling is a form of therapy that offers a safe and confidential place to explore the issues and emotions that are bothering you.
- You may have a specific life event, relationship difficulty or feeling that you wish to explore.
- You may want help to recognise unhelpful patterns in the way you think or behave, and (if you want to) find ways to change them.
- You may want support with a mental health concern such as anxiety or depression.
- You may wish to explore personal difficulties such as low self-esteem or anger.
Talking to a trusted person outside of your social group can help you to gain new perspectives and understand yourself better. Within counselling, the therapist should listen, empathise and offer support in processing emotions, they will not tell you what to do. Having a safe and confidential therapeutic space to work on yourself can lead to positive changes and improved coping strategies.
Courage doesn’t happen when you have all the answers. It happens when you are ready to face the questions you have been avoiding your whole life.Shannon L. Alder
Thinking about counselling is a big decision and finding a therapist you feel comfortable with is very important. You may wish to contact more than one counsellor to discuss what you are looking for, this can help you to made a decision. If you are thinking of starting counselling with me, or are not sure what you are looking for, I am happy to discuss this over the phone prior to making an appointment booking.
Within counselling work I provide a safe, warm and non-judgmental space. I believe that the therapeutic relationship is the core to the work and will integrate other ways of working too meet your needs. I work individually, offering short term, long term and open ended counselling. Within our initial meeting we can discuss your needs and set some goals for therapy. We can review these throughout the sessions as they might change as you do!
My professional background and training means i can draw from various therapeutic tools and approaches to ensure you get the most out of counselling. I am experienced in working with Sexual Violence, Addiction, Domestic Abuse and Complex Trauma, as well as a range of issues seen below.
Primarily, I am an Integrative Relational Counsellor. I also offer other psychological / counselling therapies, including;
- Person Centered Counselling
- Rewind Therapy – Trauma and Phobias
- Transnational Analysis (TA)
- Comprehensive Resource Model (CRM) – Trauma
I am happy to assess clients wishing to access pre-trial therapy and am familiar with working within the CPS pre-trial therapy guidelines and NICE guidelines.
How Can Counselling Help?
Counselling can help you cope with:
- Stress, depression and anxiety
- Addictions e.g drugs, alcohol, food, gambling, sex
- Abuse (physical, sexual, emotional and neglect)
- Low self-esteem
- Self harm
- Loss and grief
- Financial Crisis
- Postnatal depression
- Personal Development
- Work related issues e.g. career change, redundancy, work related stress
- Sexuality, sexual identity, gender identity
What about Counselling for Children and Young People?
I have post qualifying training in Counselling Children and Young people, advanced inter-agency child protection and safeguarding training.
I provide counselling for Children and Adolescents, this service is tailored depending on age and presenting issues. To discuss referring a child or young person, please contact me.
Individual Counselling: £45-60
Couples Counselling or Family Counselling: no spaces available
Group Therapy: no spaces available